Friday, July 23, 2010

Hydroponic container 2.0

I decided to plant my mango tree into 10 gallon containers and gave up on the larger ones I made (they were too heavy to lift). I gave two to my friend Steve and will be keeping the other two for planting vegetables. I found out that mango trees can grow quite big in a 15 gallon container and since I want to keep it small enough to carry it indoors for winter I am building new pots.
I purchased 8 of these cute green Rubbermaid Brute containers from Uline.com and got some scrap 1/4-inch acrylic from Tapplastics and made a L-shaped structure for the float valve. I got more top-hat grommets from schydroponics (local hydroponic store) and 1/2 elbow fitting for the water level. I also cut off the electrical plug on my pumps so I can pass it through one of the grommet (the hole plugged it with silicone glue).

I am using my old aquarium Rena air pump for the air stones; its quite good. My previous pump may be too old because it wasn't pumping any air into the pots.