Saturday, January 7, 2012

Let the scrubbing and repotting begin!

Lemon Zest
So this morning, around 10am, I armed myself with a tooth brush and a scotchbrite scouring pad, and with a little soap, scrubbed all the black fungal soot off of all the branches. I even tried to scrub off some of the mineral deposits on the leaves.
Now its looks nice and green! The dry california weather should keep it this way but just in case, I sprayed it down with a dose of fungicide.
Now the scary part. Bare-rooting and repotting.
I used about three buckets of water to loosen and wash off the soil around the root ball. I added KLN rooting hormone in the water in the hopes it might help.

The roots are pot bound. I broke a lot of fine roots to try to untangle some of the dense mass.
Its more opened up but now I'm gonna have to see how severe the transplant shock is going to be.

And here is Lemon Zest in its 5 gal. Gro Pot. I added Mycos, Azos and a good dose of Bioweed (seaweed additive) to get roots going.
What a handsome tree; so green in the sunlight, too bad its so tall. A part of me is hoping that the transplant shock might trigger it to produce growth via epicormic shoots lower on the trunk.
I have it in a bright spot in my bedroom and I'm gonna spray the leaves with a solution of KLN to try to get its roots going.