Sunday, October 23, 2011

Lemon Zest (OS) moved to office.

My new mango has been moved to the office. I had to wrap up the pot & soil in newspaper, plastic and packing tape, so I can lay it on its side, inside my car.
I already notice shriveling happening because of transplant shock. I still feel this guy is too big for my current needs and I don't like the branches; as they are wonky and straggly. The branches are covered with a black fungus I think, not healthy looking. I am considering pruning it down to 18 inches or more. But I am going to wait and see if it survives and puts out new roots before I hack at it. There was some slight rot happening near the base of the tree, so I used my trusty folding box cutter and gently shaved off as much of blackened wood I could, without digging into any green wood. I am also thinking of scoring/girdling the trunk to get it to branch out lower but not sure how to proceed. The only advantage to buying a 7 gal tree is the thicker trunk.