Sunday, October 23, 2011

Welcome 'Orange Sherbet'! But possibly a 'Lemon Zest'.

Well I got my 7 gallon 'Orange Sherbet' variety mango today and I can't believe how big it is. I feel ashamed that I didn't get a smaller one. I am thinking of chopping this baby in half but there are no leaves lower down on the trunk to support photosynthesis. Its in transplant shock, so doing so would most likely kill it. Its also probable that this tree is actually a 'Lemon Zest' variety because 'Orange Sherbet' has not been released by Zill..
Here is a pic of the box it arrived in.
 Here it is, unpacked and unfurled. Kind of wonky branches.
 Here it is with most of the original dirt shaken off.
 Here are shots of the root mass after washing it clean.
 Here I planted it into a new 5 gallon Gro Pot. Soil-less mixture of hydroton (at bottom of pot), coir and perlite. I liberally added XtremeGardening's Azos and Mykos on and around the roots before potting it up. I gave a big dose of Bioweed (seaweed additive) to encourage rooting.
Need to figure out how to transport this baby to work.