Thursday, January 13, 2011

Severe Pruning My Mangoes!

I gave up. I couldn't wait. I figured that if my young trees survived till now, it must be okay to prune it. I decided to prune them to half their size so I can get branching and a more bushy shape. I feel like I just punched a helpless child in the face, its that traumatizing. I am such a botanical wuss.
Here are the results.
 The Class photo. Graham, Glenn, Julie, Lancetilla & Valencia Pride.

 I pruned off the two dead branches of Valencia Pride. Now its a 'Y' shape.

 
Here is Lancetilla before the prune.
This is what it looks like after. Oh boy.

 
Here is Glenn before his prune.
And here is Glenn now with just one leaf.

 
Pickering before & after.

 
Graham before & after.
Close up of Graham's prune cut.

Here is the cut pieces tied together with a green bow and placed in a glass bowl. I could bring myself to throw them out so I wrapped them as a floral arrangement. Interestingly, I can see the latex sap seeping out into the bowl. Notice that the water is a bit milky.