Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Anthracnose... DOH!

I increased the humidity around the trees and now I have to deal with a fungus called anthracnose. I didn't realize it but the black spots on the bottom of Edward's leaves was the fungus. It spread but Edward was pretty resilient.
Julie #2 got the worst of it. Pretty much all of her leaves became severely infected. Only a few of her leaves look okay. Most of her other leaves look like they're dead or dying. But the stems so far remain green. I discovered that Neem Oil is a good fungicide and so happens that I have Neem Oil (from Dyna-Gro) that I bought a long time ago to battle wooly-mites on my orchids. Hurray. I am hoping it has already stopped the progress of the fungus.
Poor Tebow looks sad. I repotted him so the root stock was lower into the grow medium. The roots look distressed for sure. Tebow is wilting simply from its roots not working. I'm also misting Neem Oil on Tebow as you can see some of his new leaves are damaged from anthracnose.
Roots deeper into medium.