Friday, December 3, 2010

Pruning

Well, after thinking excessively about it since getting my new mangoes I took the plunge and pruned them down. Julie's upper branches were turning black so that made it easy to cut it off. Alphonso had a lot of anthracnose on it and its leaves looked weak. I didn't want a 4+ foot tree anyhow, so I cut off a big segment of trunk. I hope they both don't die.
 Here is the cut on Alphonso.
 I maybe should've kept the two branches but I didn't want a lop-sided tree, so I cut those down too.
 Here's Julie again.
 The two smaller branches "tipped" and the ends powdered with cinnamon (which I've read is a natural fungicide and insecticide).
 Julie got some cinnamon too.
They look so diminished. I wish I could see the roots.
Tomorrow I move the two to a window space at work. I hope the warmer temperature at the office will make them happy. So far it seems to be the case with my other four mangoes.